North Dakota is the only state without voter registration as our Voter ID law requires a valid form of ID to vote. Identification, or IDs, issued by the North Dakota Department of Transportation comes in many different styles and statuses, many of which are used for voting.

  • Certain types of IDs are issued to non-U.S. citizens and North Dakota’s voter record flags anyone marked as a non-citizen so election officials can ensure only U.S. citizens are allowed to vote.
  • You may vote in North Dakota if you are at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and have lived in North Dakota for 30 days prior to an election.


Look up what address is currently associated with you for voting purposes.

My Voting Information Portal Button
Accordion Section Title
Do I need to do anything if I've moved since my ID was issued?

How to Update Your ID

If you have moved since your ID was issued, you may need to update it before Election Day. The North Dakota Department of Transportation allows you to update your address and make appointments online for new IDs.  

Update Your Address Online - NDDOT 


Locate a ND Drivers License site near you and schedule an appointment.

Make an Appointment - NDDOT 

Tribal IDs are updated with your tribal office. For those tribes that have agreed to share data with the Secretary of State, the ID does not need to be replaced. For all other tribes, the ID must be replaced to reflect the change.

Accordion Section Title
What if my ID isn't updated before election day?

What if my ID isn't updated before election day?

If you are unable to update your identification, you still have the right to vote as a North Dakota resident if you are a U.S. citizen. If you do not get your identification updated, or find you do not have your identification with you when voting, you have two options:

Option 1: Supplemental Information Option 2: Set-Aside Ballot

You can bring your non-updated identification along with supplemental information that includes your updated address to the polling location on Election Day. Supplemental documentation that will be accepted includes a: 

  • Current bank statement or utility bill
  • Paycheck or paystub
  • Check or document issued by a federal, state, tribal, or local government
  • Printed document issued by a college or university + student ID - Voting as a College Student

You can vote by set-aside ballot during early vote or on Election Day. This means you cast your ballot and it is placed in an envelope to be presented to the County Canvassing Board for review.

  • Within 13 days after the election, you must update or present your driver’s license, non-driver ID, Tribal ID or documentation, or Long Term Care Certificate before the County Canvassing Board meets.
  • You may submit your identification to the county auditor, in person or electronically, and your ballot will be counted. You will be provided information about this process when voting a set-aside ballot.


Accordion Section Title
What if I don't have a residential address where I live?

What if I don't have a residential address where I live?

If you don’t have a residential address where you live you should contact the 911 Coordinator for your county to start the easy, quick, and free process.

Living within Tribal Reservation Boundaries 

Tribal members and non-member residents living in a precinct that includes land within the tribal government jurisdiction may use the following maps to assist the appropriate 911 Coordinator to determine the residential address:


Valid Forms of ID 

North Dakota accepts the following as voter identification.


State ID

North Dakota Drivers License 

North Dakota Non-Driver ID

  • Available at no cost for voting purposes from the North Dakota Department of Transportation, visit ID Card Requirements on their website. 

View examples of North Dakota Driver's License and Non-Driver Licenses types. 

Tribal ID or Tribal Letter

Tribal government issued identification, including those issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs or other tribal entity. Contact your local tribal government office for more information. 

The following forms may also be used by tribal member or non-member residents living within the tribal government’s jurisdiction to vote: 


Long Term Care Certificate 

Issued by a long term care facility located in North Dakota to persons residing in the facility at the time of election. The following form may be needed for identification purposes -  Long Term Care Certificate Form.